The Salvation Army
Category of Service: Human Needs
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Programs and Services
- The Washington Salvation Army offers programming to engage the entire family in healthy activities and teach skills to last a lifetime. Family Literacy Effort supplies new books for families through monthly Family Reading Picnics. Annually, over 10,000 books on average are provided to area families through this effort. Wednesday evening sensory friendly time of worship followed by a service project for all ages. Free cooking classes for children K-12th learn to cook a complete meal each week.
- The Washington Salvation Army offers a variety of comprehensive social service efforts in the community including Love in a Backpack & Best Foot Forward. Love in a Backpack provides supplemental food on the weekends for children from 11 local schools. Children receive 7-11 food items each week for 38 weeks. Each month the children receive a new book & at Christmas time a board game to encourage healthy conversations around the table. Best Foot Forward provided 900 children new shoes in 2021.
- HISPins Youth Archery Program helps youth to slow down and focus as well as work on basic math skills. Striving to help families develop healthy lifestyles emotionally, mentally & physically all year long. Our programs encourage taking the time to engage with one another in healthy activities & conversations. Whether it’s a box of produce, a utility bill paid, a new bed, or a bottle of water at a fire you will find The Salvation Army and volunteers ready to share hope with others.
- The Salvation Army Mon Valley new location in Donora, will offer cooking classes to youth to learn skills they need to properly prepare well-balanced nutritious meals in addition to basic kitchen safety. Each cooking class will conclude with the group partaking in a family style meal, with invited guests from the community. These guests will be community leaders who will engage the teens in leadership skills. Tuesdays the mobile feeding program visits youth in Donora to provide nutritious meals.
- The Salvation Army Mon Valley will offer a music program during the school year in conjunction with Ringgold School District. Collaborating with Boy Scouts on an Emergency Disaster Explorer Post Program to provide youth who are pursuing Emergency Medical Technician careers an opportunity to participate with emergency situations as a ride along observer. By focusing on activities that encourage character & life skills development, we believe we can show youth possibilities of a fulfilling life.
Primary Revenue Sources
Donations, Mail Appeal, Grants, Fundraising
Primary Fundraising Event
Red Kettle Campaign
|Federal Tax ID||13-5562351|
|Title:||Director of Government & Foundation Relations|
|Address:||700 North Bell Avenue, P.O. Box 742|
Carnegie , PA, 15106
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.