Monongahela Main Street Program
The Mission of the Monongahela Main Street Program is: to strengthen the historic West Main Street business district, to achieve "a Thriving Downtown and a Fully Engaged Community," using the National Main Street Program's Four-Point Approach (TM).
Programs and Services
- The Monongahela Main Street Program (MMSP) is all about revitalization of the West Main Street business district. Our Organization follows the 4-Point Approach, balancing Promotion of downtown with Design improvements. As we get the word out about how exciting, active, and attractive our downtown is, we are also building a revitalized local Economy. We emphasize grass-roots involvement from local citizens: We focus on bringing people back downtown to rebuild it as the center of the community.
- Perhaps more than any other local organization, we promote cooperation between 50 other groups that sponsor events/activities in our downtown area yearly (about 900 scheduled activities in a typical year, still gradually restarting since 2020). Rather than competing with these groups, we seek to encourage cooperation, promoting what they are already doing and working with them on joint projects. We encourage everyone to see a successful downtown as an important aspect of their involvement here.
- We keep track of things. We gather information on all buildings and businesses downtown so we can help to make it all into a unified effort. We have contact data on available spaces, demographics, photographs, historical material, etc., for when businesses are looking for a place to locate. We report to City Council, the Chamber, and several other organizations monthly. We also represent Monongahela at Main Street networking meetings, Pennsylvania Downtown Center conferences, and similar events.
- We have some great projects and we emphasize youth. Our active Mon. Youth Main Street Program (M.y. Main St) holds an award-winning annual summer street fair. We hang 60 freshly carved jack-o-lanterns from utility poles along West Main Street in time for the Halloween parade. While raising some funds, the project involves about 100 people: local sponsors, young families that help us carve them at the library, etc. We buy supplies locally, and use the carved symbols to represent local events.
- The Monongahela Main Street Program is the local member of the statewide non-profit Pennsylvania Downtown Center (PDC) and of the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s National Main Street Center (NMSC), AKA Main Street America. This gives us access to trademarked ideas of the NMSC. The NMSC’s 4-Point Approach model is at work now in over 1,600 U.S. towns. Our involvement with PDC & NMSC also connects our town to what’s happening at the state level and in other MSP downtowns.
Primary Revenue Sources
Donations and occasional grants.
Primary Fundraising Event
Avenue of the Hanging Jack-O-Lanterns
|Federal Tax ID||81-1368144|
|Name:||Terry A. Necciai, RA|
|Address:||C/o Terry A. Necciai, RA, Executive Director, 400 Meade Street|
Monongahela, PA, 15063
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.