The Monongahela Area Historical Society
Category of Service: Arts & Humanities
To promote the interests of the public in the history of southwestern Pennsylvania with emphasis on the city of Monongahela, Carroll, and Forward Townships, and the Borough of New Eagle and to provide a place where items of local history may be stored and displayed; to hold meetings open to the public where historical subjects may be discussed, and to carry out all lawful acts to carry out the above stated purposes.
Programs and Services
- The Monongahela Area Historical Society (MAHS) offers monthly speakers; features community events such as autumn Ghost Walks, and a historic house walking tour; cooperates with California University of Pennsylvania academic programs and other historical societies; operates a museum at the Longwell House, 711 W. Main St., Monongahela; and serves as an archive to the community. The MAHS archives are being digitized in order to become more accessible to local and online communities.
- The Monongahela Area Historical Society functions today as a monthly meeting organization which has become a strong voice in the community on such issues as: historic preservation, community development, sense of community identity, and quality of life.
- The Monongahela Area Historical Society cooperates with other historical societies on joint ventures and exhibits. We contributed to the 2015 Civil War Exhibit in Donora and will work with DHS on the 2020 World War II exhibit. The MAHS cooperated with the Elizabeth Township Historical Society (ETHS) on a 2017 Mark Twain Program, a 2018 Appalachian Music program, and a 2019 Wayward Companions and Pittsburgh Historical Music Society Program. In 2018, we contributed to the Cal U Manderino Library WWI exhibit.
- In late 2018 and May 2019, the MAHS hosted the Wedding Cookie College, drawing many guests from out of the county and out of state. The Wedding Cookie Table investigates traditions held in western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, and parts of West Virginia regarding wedding cookie tables. Wedding Cookie Table grew out of a monthly MAHS meeting presentation and culminated in a Guinness World Record, 88,425 cookies (beating the prior record of 18,000) on August 11, 2019, at the Monongahela Area 250 Birthday Celebration.
- The MAHS monthly meeting presentations have recently included the topics of Monongahela Rye Whiskey, Monongahela 1952 World Pony League Champions, Cal U Digital Storytelling, etc. At the 2019 Monongahela 250 Birthday, the MAHS promoted and led celebrations of Monongahela area history, including the opening and display of the 200th (1969) time capsule. The MAHS responded to COVID-19 with a collection of PPE for the Mon Valley Hospital and has begun a Coronavirus Archive and innovative digital outreach.
Primary Revenue Sources
Events, dues, grants, donations
Primary Fundraising Event
|Federal Tax ID||25-1442310|
|Address:||711 W. Main St.|
Monongahela, PA, 15063
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via charitynavigator.org.