Pennsylvania State Animal Response Team “Washington County Animal Response Team”
Category of Service: Environment & Animal Welfare
Provide equipment, supplies, planning and training to animal response teams in Pennsylvania to address the needs of domestic animals in large scale disasters. Washington County Animal Response Team is the response team for our county.
Programs and Services
- It is not IF disaster will strike, it is WHEN disaster strikes, who will take care of the animals?When disaster strikes you need to be ready. Emergencies come in many forms such as natural disasters (fire, flood, and tornado) or man-made disasters (gas well explosion, chemical accidents, or terrorist attacks). Animals can be in put in peril due to these situations and require immediate response and need temporary sheltering. The Washington County Animal Response Team is there for our county.
- WaCART is deployed for animal emergencies only through the Washington County 911 Dispatch. Team members are trained in Technical Rescue for Large Animal incidents. Team members also are training in Incident Command System, Hazardous Materials, and small animal sheltering skills. These trainings enable WaCART to respond to a variety of incidents with companion animals, equine and domestic livestock. WaCART supports Washington County Emergency Management Agency throughout our county.
- WaCART has responded to various disaster situations in which animals are in need of assistance including highway accidents, responses to horses stuck in mud and ice, livestock escaped on local roads, and dogs that have been involved in humane situations. WaCART is fully equipped to respond to these large and small animal disaster situations with their two response trailers. These trailers contain technical equipment for large animal incidents and sheltering supplies for small animal responses.
- WaCART has responded to 71 large animal emergencies since 2009. Our team has responded to various emergencies involving horses. 24 times since 2018, WaCART has assisted in providing technical aid to horses that have been stuck in mud, trapped inside of horse trailers, and fallen down hillsides. Our team of responders provide expert guidance and technical rescue skills in these emergency situations. WaCART works with the Washington EMA, local and state police and local fire departments.
- WaCART also provides training and safety seminars for local horse owners and 4H clubs throughout Washington County. These trainings include safety awareness for barn, field and trailer safety. WaCART also worked with a local veterinary practice to provide pet oxygen kits to all of the fire departments within our county. These kits enable first responders to provide oxygen to dogs and cats that are rescued from smoke and fire incidents.
Primary Revenue Sources
Donations and grants
Primary Fundraising Event
Safe Your Horse safety seminars, T-shirt sales, and donations
|Federal Tax ID||20-2042482|
|Address:||1310 Elmerton Ave.|
Harrisburg, PA, 17110
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via charitynavigator.org.