Jefferson College Historical Society
Category of Service: Arts & Humanities
The Jefferson College Historical Society is a nonprofit educational organization devoted to the preservation of the history of Jefferson College and the greater Canonsburg area. The Society is dedicated to advancing knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of local history to a diverse population.
Programs and Services
- The Jefferson College Historical Society (JCHS) publishes and distributes the "Jefferson Times" newsletter several times per year to its membership of @ 350. The Times contains articles about the history of Jefferson College and the local area in/near Canonsburg,Pennsylvania. Ideas for stories are solicited from members and others interested in local history and the stories of families In the area.
- The JCHS holds several meetings per year which are free and open to the public. Each meeting features a presentation from an invited subject-matter specialist. The JCHS also holds an annual Show 'n Tell event in mid-March. Members and others are invited to bring Jefferson College and/or local items of historical significance for the informal and informative meeting.
- The JCHS recently concluded a campaign to raise funds to replace 15 historic signs in downtown Canonsburg. The new signs are painted/enameled metal signs similar to those used by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The signs are being produced and are expected to be installed later this year. A dedication ceremony, originally scheduled for May 25, 2020, was postponed due to the Coronavirus-19 precautions. A new date for the dedication has not yet been scheduled.
- The JCHS has a Museum in the lower level of the Canon-McMillan Middle School Auditorium, located at 220 North Central Avenue in Canonsburg. The Society plans to re-open the museum to the public and to history classes as soon as possible. The JCHS serves as the local steward for the maintenance and restoration of the original McMillan Log Cabin College, located on the grounds of the Canon McMillan Middle School at 25 East College Street in Canonsburg.
- For more information, see our Facebook page @ jeffersoncollegehistoricalsociety The JCHS email address is: email@example.com
Primary Revenue Sources
Membership dues and donations
Primary Fundraising Event
Replace the Signs Campaign, Phase 2 - coming soon
|Federal Tax ID||23-7347840|
|Address:||530 Tannehill St., P.O. Box 638|
Canonsburg, PA, 15317
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via charitynavigator.org.