Habitat for Humanity International Washington County
Category of Service: Human Needs
Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with God and with people everywhere, from all walks of life, to develop communities with God's people in need by building and renovating houses so that there are decent houses in decent communities in which people can live and grow into all that God intended.
WCHfH was established in 1989 and has built 58 homes in Washington County, helping over 300 people into a safe, decent affordable, home and making their dream of home ownership come true.
Programs and Services
- Washington County Habitat for Humanity (WCHfH) builds homes for qualifying people in need. Prospective homeowner's once approved, have to help earn their home. Two parent families must complete 500 sweat equity (volunteer) hours. Single parent families must complete 350. They volunteer at the ReStore, help in the construction of another families home, then help build their own home. WCHfH then sells the family the home at a reduced cost with an interest free 20 year mortgage.
- "The Call That Changed Stacy's Life"Stacey was a divorced mother of a five year old daughter. They were living in an unsafe home. It had crooked floors, no bathroom door, and no insulation just to name a few. In the winter Stacey would have to crawl under the unsafe house to un-thaw the frozen pipes. Stacey was grateful to have a place to live but wanted more for her daughter and herself. She had a full time job cleaning houses and worked very hard but still couldn't save enough for a
- better home for her daughter. One day Stacey was talking to a friend, the friend suggested that she call Washington County Habitat for Humanity to see if they could help her become a homeowner. The next day she called and talked to the Executive Director. He told her to come to the office to get an application, which she did. A few weeks after returning the completed application, Stacey received "the call that changed her life". She had been approved for a Habitat home.
- Her dreams were going to come true, she was going to be a homeowner. Stacey says she learned so much from Habitat during the construction of her home. She learned to hang drywall, install flooring, and shingle a roof amongst other skills that have continued to help her through-out the years. The following year (2006) her house was complete. The dedication ceremony took place and she was presented the keys to her new home. Her dream had finally came true. After moving into
- her new home, her cleaning business grew bigger than she could handle. She dreamed of owning a Maid Pro business but did not see how this was possible unless, she was able to take out a second mortgage on her home. She was approved and bought the Maid Pro business in 2006. She grew the business to 14 employees and more than 100 customers. Stacey said that this would have never been possible without Habitat and the call that changed her life.
Primary Revenue Sources
ReStore, Events and Donations
Primary Fundraising Event
Annual Benefit Dinner & Auctions & Annual Golf Outing
|Federal Tax ID||25-1605745|
|Address:||1051 E. Maiden St.|
Washington, PA, 15301
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via charitynavigator.org.